Match Highlights | Rangers 3-3 Celtic | Celts have to settle for a point in SIX Goal Glasgow Derby!

Scottish Premiership
Sunday, April 7, 2024
Ibrox Stadium, Glasgow

(Tavernier 55 pen, Sima 85, Matando 90’)

(Maeda 1, O’Riley 33 pen, Idah 87)

Celtic came away from Ibrox with a point in a thrilling 3-3 Glasgow derby at Ibrox, with the Hoops having thought they won it with a late Adam Idah strike before Rabbi Matando equalised in added time.

Celtic enjoyed the best possible start to the game when Daizen Maeda opened the scoring after just 21 seconds.

A ball from Joe Hart was played over the top and as James Tavernier tried to clear the ball, Daizen Maeda blocked the clearance and the ball rocketed into the back of the net beyond Jack Buckland.

The goal stunned Ibrox and the Hoops kept driving forward in search of a second goal.

That nearly came in the 25 minute when Matt O’Riley slipped the ball in for Maeda, but his effort was saved by the Rangers keeper. And less than 60 seconds later, Reo Hatate had a shot from the edge of the area which went just wide.

On the half-hour mark, another flowing move from the Hoops saw O’Riley head a ball on target from ten yards out which was pushed over the bar.

And from the resultant corner, Celtic got the second goal they so richly deserved, following a VAR check.

A ball into the box came off Connor Goldson’s arm, and after referee, John Beaton reviewed the incident, he pointed to the spot.

Matt O’Riley coolly stepped up and dinked the ball down the middle and into the net to make it 2-0.

Brendan Rodgers’ side were dominating the match, and continued to carve out good opportunities to add to their goals tally.

Kyogo came close with a header after a wonderful ball to the far post from Greg Taylor, while Hatate had another shot from 23 yards out which went just wide.

Joe Hart was quiet for much of the opening 45 minutes but the Celtic keeper was called upon to produce a good save to deny Fabio Silva inside the area to ensure the Hoops went in at half-time with a two-goal lead.

Celtic were looking to to continue their dominance in the second-half and Reo Hatate had a shot inside the first couple of minutes, but Buckland did well to save the shot.

And on 52 minutes, Rangers were thrown a lifeline. Silva was initially booked for diving inside the box but a subsequent VAR review ruled that he was fouled by Alistair Johnston and the home side were awarded a penalty which Tavernier converted.

Rangers thought they had equalised just two minutes later when Dessers finished off a counter-attack, but another VAR review saw the play brought back for a foul on Tomoki Iwata in the middle fo the park, and Celtic remained 2-1 ahead.

With 25 minutes remaining, Callum McGregor replaced Reo Hatate in midfield, and the Hoops had a good counter-attack down the left on 73 minutes, with Adam Idah and Daizen Maeda combining well, although the Irishman’s cross into thebox was cleared.

On 86 minutes, Rangers grabbed an equaliser when Sima bundled the ball home after Celtic gave possession away int he middle of the park, but celebrations amongst the home support were short-lived as Idah fired home just 60 seconds later with a low shot inside the area to make it 3-2 for the Hoops.

Celtic had eight added minutes to hold on for all three points, but in the third minute of added time, Matondo cut in from the left and fired a shot beyond Joe Hart to make it 3-3.

🍀Subscribe today to the official YouTube of the world’s first Quadruple Treble winners, Celtic Football Club:

📽️ Plus, you can watch exclusive player and manager interviews, full-match replays and go behind the scenes of Celtic FC ONLY on Celtic TV. Subscribe today!

Connect with Celtic Football Club ⤵️

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *